Friday, November 16, 2007

Five Things I'm Digging



Various Artists The Brit Box: UK Indie, Shoegaze, And Brit-Pop Gems Of The Last Millennium (Rhino)
This four-CD boxed set has a number of questionable choices, but it does include all of the important easy-to-abbreviate bands (MBV, JAMC, TFC, SFA, etc.). The Brit Box also unearths some under-the-radar classics (Eugenius' "Breakfast," Chapterhouse's "Pearl," the Dylans' "Mary Quant In Blue") and has plenty of guilty pleasures (Suede's "Metal Mickey," Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "Grey Cell Green," Inspiral Carpets' "This Is How It Feels"). Too bad I threw out all of my horizontally striped T-shirts.

North Star Orchard
This Coatesville, Pa., family farm has a booth every Saturday at the Rittenhouse Square Farmers' Market, and every Saturday I go there and buy a week's worth of their hosui pears, which are the greatest fruit known to man. Sadly, they close up shop for the winter tomorrow, so I'm gonna purchase lots of pears.

SlimSlimmy Minimalist Ultra Thin Wallet
OK, I'm completely ashamed it's leather, but other than that, this thing rules. I used to carry a wallet that was George Costanza-ish in its bloatedness and hurt my ass whenever I was sitting, but this little guy goes in your front pocket and can hold more than you would think.

Carbon/Silicon The Last Post (Caroline)
Mick Jones never really got the credit he deserved for his contributions to the Clash. (If you disagree, check out 1985's horrible Cut The Crap, the only Clash album made without him. Better yet, don't.) Carbon/Silicon is Jones and Tony James (Gen X), and The Last Post is a socially conscious debut LP that's far better than I thought it would be.

Trident Minty Sweet Twist
I was a long-time Original, Peppermint and Spearmint guy, but after trying this new flavor, I can't go back. This had better not go the same way as my beloved Diet Mountain Dew Code Red (RIP).

No comments: