Thursday, November 1, 2007

Today's Two Beers



Butte Creek Organic Revolution XI Imperial IPA
I have a feeling if I ever go to Chico, Calif., I will probably never leave there. Not only is it home to the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (the city's biggest manufacturing employer!), it's also where the Butte Creek Brewing Company makes its fine organic beers. Their delicious XI Imperial IPA celebrates Butte Creek's 11th anniversary. The 22-ounce brew is malty but not overly hoppy, and it's very drinkable despite its almost 9% alcohol content. I have never had a Butte Creek beer that I wouldn't recommend. That they are organic only makes them that much better.

Saranac Belgian Ale
The Matt Brewing Company opened in 1888, and the Utica, N.Y., company is still run by members of the same family. They make an impressive number of styles of beer, and though I can't say I've been blown away by any one, I have liked all that I've tried. Their seasonal Belgian Ale (not to be confused with their Belgian White) is a fruity and spicy brew that would be a good introduction to someone unfamiliar with Belgian-style beers.

No comments: